- Summer Vacation Hotspots: Not surprisingly, moms preferred vacation spot was at the beach or lake, while visiting friends and family tied as the second most-preferred choice for the family travel agenda.
- Summer Method of Travelling: Cars were voted as the highest used mode of transportation for family travel, followed by airplanes and then trains. Buses, boats and ferries were the least preferred ways to travel.
- Summer Home Away from Home: Nearly 52% of moms voted Holiday Inn as their favorite hotel chain when traveling with kids, followed by vacation rental properties, Embassy Suites & Hotels and Marriott Hotels & Resorts.
- Summer Travel Duration: 40% of moms said the average trip lasts three or four nights, and 30% said between four and seven.
- Summer Travel Budgets: 36% of moms intend to spend between $500 - $1000 this summer on travel and 29% between $1000 and $1500.
- Summer Travel Gear: 81% of moms noted apparel and accessories are the highest ranked purchases, followed by toys and games, and baby or children’s travel gear.
- Summer Travel Help: 56% of moms said family travel is definitely enjoyable but it can also be stressful. 41% of moms said baby or children’s travel gear is most helpful when traveling with kids.
- Summer Reading: Moms believe the most important aspects of summer reading are to bond (40%) and to educate (35%) their children. 57% of moms find reading and comprehension to be the most important developmental skill.
- Summer Reading Format: Nearly 61% of moms prefer reading printed books than digital or audio books.
- Summer Reading Frequency: During summer break, 32% of moms plan to read to their kids two to three times a day and 10% of moms more than three times.
- Summer Reading Times: 32% of moms said they read with their kids in the morning, during playtime, before naptime, and before bedtime. Working moms noted summer reading will occur after they get home from work.
- Starting Education Young: 89% of moms said the most important years to foster a child’s development are between newborn to age 5, with ages 3 to 5 garnering 56% of the vote.
- Spending on Education: One in five moms would spend over half of their income on their child’s education if they knew products or services would be effective. Currently, 65% of moms spend up to 30% of their income on educational development.
- Finding Books: Over 30% noted they plan to find their children’s summer reading materials at the book store and another 30% plan to find them at the library. A striking 67% of moms plan to keep these books in almost every room in the house.
- Favorite Books and Book Series: Hungry Caterpillar, Goodnight Moon and Cinderella are among moms’ favorite children’s books. Dr. Seuss, Thomas the Tank and Berenstein Bears topped the list as moms’ favorite series.
Headquartered in New York, TOTSY is a privately held company dedicated to providing its members with access to coveted and essential products and brands designed for expecting moms, parents, babies and kids at sample sale prices. Shopping events are designer-specific and held over a 72 hour period. For more information, visit www.TOTSY.com and request a free membership.